[OT] Dark Star (1974) - the platinum age of movies

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisprog at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 17:25:30 PDT 2010

On Wednesday, September 01, 2010 16:17:42 so wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 02:05:53 +0300, Walter Bright
>
> <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:
> > Russel Winder wrote:
> >> Extremely serious low budget though -- everyone needs to remember that
> >> when watching (1974, so pre Star Wars, and a very, very low budget).
> >
> > Dark Star and the Star Wars prequels prove that big budgets aren't what
> > make a movie, a plot and good writing is.
>
> If you ignore the Harrison Ford factor, SW is nothing but a soap opera to
> me...
> Then you watch Bladerunner, Alien... now they are truly awesome!

Actually, he specifically mentioned the prequels, not the original trilogy, so
unless Dark Star has Harrison Ford in it (I haven't seen it, but I'm pretty sure
that he's not in it), there is no Harrison Ford factor with the movies that he
mentioned.

I think his point was that while the Star Wars prequels had large budgets, they
weren't all that good, while Dark Star was good in spite of having a small
budget. So, the budget doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the quality
of the movie.

- Jonathan M Davis