[Slight OT] TDPL in Russia

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Wed Sep 1 21:12:25 PDT 2010

Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> Music and movies are huge industries. Capitalism definitely supports them.
> However, if you're dealing with less well-known, less generally-liked stuff, then
> capitalism isnt't really going to support it. Of course, arguably, that's for
> the better, since if it doesn't do well that means that it's not something that
> the majority supports, but there is good stuff out there that never becomes
> particularly popular or successful. However, since art is generally in the eye
> of the beholder, there will always be people unhappy with how it gets handled
> regardless of the economic system in use.

Try hiring someone to do some artwork for a web site or your program. Artists
are definitely capitalists and don't work for free, even for small stuff.

> I hear that this sort of thing tends to happen with Indie artists as well. There
> are fans who like them until they get popular. I guess that there are people who
> _like_ it when the stuff that they like is niche.

I bet that deep down they know that they don't actually like it, they just like
being in the in crowd where they all smugly congratulate each other about how
they get it and nobody else does :-)

I love the case of Teri Horton who has an unauthenticated Pollock painting. If
it is a real Pollock, it is worth millions. If not, it's just some paint
dribbled on canvas. It matters not if it's a good painting or not.