[Slight OT] TDPL in Russia

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Wed Sep 1 22:20:36 PDT 2010

"Walter Bright" <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:i5n8lu$15kq$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> PHP is wildly popular, but for anyone actually familiar with a variety of
>> languages, the quality is undeniably poor, so again, we have to be
>> careful with assuming connections between popularity and quality.
>
> On the other hand, PHP may have a quality that other languages utterly
> lack and fail to recognize. The book "The Innovator's Dilemma" explains
> many examples of this.

Yea, may be so in a lot of cases, but with PHP, I really can't even fathom
that.

> There's the old saw in making a product that the last 10% takes 90% of the
> time and money. If you're doing something for free, you tend to not bother
> with that. If you're doing it for pay, you spend the time and money to
> make it a quality product.

Then it would seem most of the tech world either hadn't heard that saying or
doesn't beleive it. It seems like every time I turn around there's another
completely unpolished commercial tech offering. I can't even think of the
last time I saw a commercial tech product (hardware or software) that seemed
to have gone that final 10% - or even the first half of that final 5% (not
counting digital mars, of course ;) ). The Apple II is the first thing that
comes to mind - but I might be biased since that's what I started on.
Resident Evil 4 or Megaman 9, maybe, if videogames count. The
graffitti-1-era PalmOS devces, maybe? That's all I can think of. Certainly
nothing from Apple since Woz left, and that's the company most people try to
point to as a shining example of alleged "polish".