[Slight OT] TDPL in Russia

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Wed Sep 1 22:53:41 PDT 2010

"Walter Bright" <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:i5nco0$1bp6$3 at digitalmars.com...
> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> That's all I can think of. Certainly nothing from Apple since Woz left,
>> and that's the company most people try to point to as a shining example
>> of alleged "polish".
>
> All I can say is you need to look at the product before it was polished to
> see if progress was made during the polishing process. Looking at just the
> end result doesn't tell much.

The pre-release iterations are completely irrelevant. If the end result is
something with nearly-zero tactile feedback, super-ultra-hyperly-modal
interface, and can't be turned off with the "power" button, but only by
holding "Up" for five seconds, or has tiny ui elements that can't be
accessed with a stylus or fingernail but is far too small to do reliably
with a finger, or is a closed-locked-down-platform, or is branded as being a
PDA-like device but still doesn't support something as basic as copy-paste
that PalmOS devices already had nearly ten years prior even in smartphone
form (Handspring Treo), then yes, the polish is crap no matter how much
crappier the early iterations were. Apple's "polish" exists as nothing more
than aesthetic-oriented graphic design, and it fools most people.