[Slight OT] TDPL in Russia

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Wed Sep 1 23:20:32 PDT 2010

"Brad Roberts" <braddr at puremagic.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.60.1283405205.858.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
> On 9/1/2010 6:56 PM, BCS wrote:
>> OTOH try and write a play that no one will watch. I'd be very surprised
>> if it
>> can be done.
>
> There's a book that was purposely written (by a collaboration of good
> authors)
> to be as bad as it could be.

There was a videogame (freeware) a few years ago that was deliberately
designed to serve as an example of all the typical "worst practices" in game
design. The great thing though, was that a lot of people found it to fall
into the "so bad it's good" category :)  I wish I could remember what it
was.

> So, of course, I just had to get a copy.  I
> couldn't make it past the second chapter, if I remember right.  It'd take
> seriously determined person to actually finish it.  Reading it might well
> void
> any life insurance policies you might have.
>
>    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta_Nights

That sounds awesome :) The history and reasons behind it are really
interesting, and I got a kick out of these parts of what Wikipedia said
about it:

------------------------
...obvious grammatical errors, nonsensical passages, and a complete lack of
a coherent plot....

The distinctive flaws of Atlanta Nights include nonidentical chapters
written by two different authors from the same segment of outline (13 and
15), a missing chapter (21), two chapters that are word-for-word identical
to each other (4 and 17), two different chapters with the same chapter
number (12 and 12), and a chapter "written" by a computer program that
generated random text based on patterns found in the previous chapters (34).
Characters change gender and race; they die and reappear without
explanation. Spelling and grammar are nonstandard and the formatting is
inconsistent. The initials of characters who were named in the book spelled
out the phrase "PublishAmerica is a vanity press."[7]

Under Macdonald's direction, the finale revealed that all the previous
events of the plot had been a dream, although the book continues for several
more chapters.