[Slight OT] TDPL in Russia

Brad Roberts braddr at puremagic.com
Wed Sep 1 23:45:03 PDT 2010

On 9/1/2010 11:28 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "Brad Roberts" <braddr at puremagic.com> wrote in message
> news:mailman.60.1283405205.858.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
>> On 9/1/2010 6:56 PM, BCS wrote:
>>> OTOH try and write a play that no one will watch. I'd be very surprised
>>> if it
>>> can be done.
>>
>> There's a book that was purposely written (by a collaboration of good
>> authors)
>> to be as bad as it could be.  So, of course, I just had to get a copy.  I
>> couldn't make it past the second chapter, if I remember right.  It'd take
>> seriously determined person to actually finish it.  Reading it might well
>> void
>> any life insurance policies you might have.
>>
>>    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlanta_Nights
>>

> I hope it started with "It was a dark and stormy night" :)

Sadly no.. that'd be cliched but not bad enough.  Hopefully this doesn't push
the bounds of fair use too far.  The first several lines:

Chapter 1

  Pain.
  Whispering voices.
  Pain.
  Pain. Pain. Pain.
  Need pee -- new pain -- what are they sticking in me? ...
  Sleep.
  Pain.
  Whispering voices.
  "As you know, Nurse Eastman, the government spooks controlling this hospital
will not permit me to give this patient the care I think he needs."
  "Yes, doctor."  The voice was breathy, sweet, so sweet and sexy.

---

Actually, that part's not THAT bad, by itself.. but it certainly isn't anywhere
near good.