[Slight OT] TDPL in Russia

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 2 05:58:35 PDT 2010

On Thu, 02 Sep 2010 01:53:41 -0400, Nick Sabalausky <a at a.a> wrote:

> "Walter Bright" <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
> news:i5nco0$1bp6$3 at digitalmars.com...
>> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>>> That's all I can think of. Certainly nothing from Apple since Woz left,
>>> and that's the company most people try to point to as a shining example
>>> of alleged "polish".
>>
>> All I can say is you need to look at the product before it was polished
>> see if progress was made during the polishing process. Looking at just
>> the
>> end result doesn't tell much.
>
> The pre-release iterations are completely irrelevant. If the end result
> is
> something with nearly-zero tactile feedback, super-ultra-hyperly-modal
> interface, and can't be turned off with the "power" button, but only by
> holding "Up" for five seconds, or has tiny ui elements that can't be
> accessed with a stylus or fingernail but is far too small to do reliably
> with a finger, or is a closed-locked-down-platform, or is branded as
> being a
> PDA-like device but still doesn't support something as basic as
> copy-paste
> that PalmOS devices already had nearly ten years prior even in smartphone
> form (Handspring Treo), then yes, the polish is crap no matter how much
> crappier the early iterations were. Apple's "polish" exists as nothing
> more
> than aesthetic-oriented graphic design, and it fools most people.

Love my iPhone.  Love it.  My last two phones were a Palm Treo and a
Samsung touch-screen (w/stylus) smartphone with Windows mobile 6.  They
are absolute garbage compared to this.  Granted, I started with the 3gs,
and upgraded to iOS4 about a month after I got it, so my phone is the
result of 3 years of polish, but I feel apple has the right focus for it.

iPhone is hands down the best phone I've ever used.  I thought when I got
it, I would have a hard time accessing small things like the on-screen
keyboard keys, but I'm surprised at how accurate I am with it, even after
only having it for a few months.  I regularly go to webnews on digitalmars
and can click the minuscule links pretty accurately.

You can not like them if you want, you are entitled to your opinion, but
it seems like you have a very negative view of almost everything :)  I bet
your glass is half empty, huh...

-Steve