[OT] Dark Star (1974) - the platinum age of movies

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Thu Sep 2 13:26:59 PDT 2010

"Andrei Alexandrescu" <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote in message
news:i5p06p$2dq9$1 at digitalmars.com...
> On 9/2/10 14:55 CDT, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> "Andrei Alexandrescu"<SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org>  wrote in message
>> news:i5ov2v$2c07$1 at digitalmars.com...
>>>
>>> The scene was of the main character driving on a busy highway into a
>>> crowded metropolis. The meaning was to question the veracity and meaning
>>> of perception, existence, and human interaction - all of which are
>>> central
>>> themes in the movie.
>>>

>> Sounds like one of those ultra-artsy movies I would probably hate :/
>>
>> Kinda reminds me of that Robin Williams movie where he was a robot, and
>> the
>> David Bowie movie "The Man Who Fell To Earth". Both seemed to be trying
>> for
>> some sort of artsy profound "meaning", but ultimately came across as
>> pretentious snore-fests.
>
> Difference is, The Bicentennial Man and The Man Who Fell To Earth don't
> hold a candle to Solaris.

Well that's good to hear then. Although in the case of The Man Who Fell To
Earth, I got the impression that even really artsy-film fans probably
wouldn't have liked it either. Even for what it was trying to be, it didn't
seem very well done.