[Slight OT] TDPL in Russia

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Thu Sep 2 23:21:07 PDT 2010

"Walter Bright" <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:i5q1u1$1bf3$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Sean Kelly wrote:
>> Walter Bright Wrote:

>>> It's the subscription model for hardware. It also effectively kills the
>>> market for used iPods.
>>
>> Then the model is broken somewhere, because Apple hardware has an
>> incredibly high resale value.
>
> I wouldn't buy a used ipod because of the non-replaceable battery. One has
> no idea how much life is left in it. I've had a number of gadgets become
> useless once the battery would no longer take a charge.

I miss the days when there was such a thing as standard battery types.

[old guy swinging a cane at some kids] Why, when *I* was a lad (*cough*
*wheeze*), all the battery and device manufacturers...(*hack*)...well they
got together, and they decided on what they called these "standards". Yup,
that was the name a' 'em (*hack* *wheeze*) And then, you could go into any
store...didn't matter where ([blows nose])...and get a gadget. Any company's
gadget, ain't never mattered. And when the batteries run out...well, we'd go
and we'd get us s'more batteries. Yessirree. And those batteries would work
with ([leans foreward]) ANYTHIN'! Ya hear me? Anythin'! Didn't matter where
ya got 'em or who's name was on 'em . They'd just werk, dernnit. And you
could bet on that! Yup. ([lights a pipe]) And they didn't cost no arm or
leg, nether! Or void your warranty. They *made* them to werk that way. Not
like you kinds these days and yer ten-packs of disposable telleyphones and
single-use laptops and whatnot. Now go fetch me my pillow, boy, I'm tired!