The new Mono GC

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 3 12:07:11 PDT 2010

On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 18:33:40 -0400, bearophile <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com>
wrote:

> Is it possible to try to replace (or just perform experiments) the D GC
> with this one?
>
> http://developers.sones.de/2010/09/01/taking-the-new-and-shiny-mono-simple-generational-garbage-collector-mono-sgen-for-a-walk/
>
> Delegating the creation and management of the D GC to someone else (the
> Mono team) sounds like a possible way to have a good enough GC.

license-wise, I think it would be possible to just port.  The GC portion
of mono is licensed via MIT X/11

It says it's semi-precise (everything except registers and stack, which
are scanned conservatively).  ATM, D doesn't have enough data to have
precise scanning (though there is work being done on that).

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to try out this GC, it seems to be
mostly usable in a D environment.

-Steve