Please comment on http://d-programming-language.org/

Adam B cruxic at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 13:31:44 PDT 2010

How is the website programmed?  If done properly the page content is
independent of the style.  Use page templates and CSS stylesheets so that
you have a single point of change for the entire website.  Stay away from
static HTML files.  Use PHP, JSP, Freemarker or something similar.

Using stylesheets can allow your users to view the site however is most
pleasing to them.  For example.  Go to this page:
    http://www.thesitewizard.com/css/switch-alternate-css-styles.shtml
 and then in FireFox select: View-> Page Style and switch between the two
provided styles.  Neato!

If you want my opinion on the visual style I'd say it's a huge improvement
over the digital mars site.  The flare gives it a sophisticated feel.
However, please don't let trivial matters like the "look" of the site slow
us down from getting accurate and useful information out to the world.  If
you have a single point of change the look can be tweaked as time goes on.

In terms of layout I agree with filgood that a site like
http://fantom.org/is a better model.  It has the most important links
in BIG colorful text on
the home page:
  1) What is D?
  2) What does it look like?
  3) How do I download it?

With a site like fantom.org you can tell that somebody sat down and though
out: What's really important to my users?  What are the primary use-cases of
my visitors?

My 2cents.  I'd be glad to help if you need it.
- Adam