Please comment on http://d-programming-language.org/

David Gileadi gileadis at NSPMgmail.com
Fri Sep 3 14:41:02 PDT 2010

On 9/3/10 1:31 PM, Adam B wrote:
> How is the website programmed?  If done properly the page content is
> independent of the style.  Use page templates and CSS stylesheets so
> that you have a single point of change for the entire website.  Stay
> away from static HTML files.  Use PHP, JSP, Freemarker or something similar.

Sorry, I think it's going to stay static HTML: the website is generated
using DDoc macros and I believe Walter is unlikely to want to go in any
other direction.

> Using stylesheets can allow your users to view the site however is most
> pleasing to them.  For example.  Go to this page:
> http://www.thesitewizard.com/css/switch-alternate-css-styles.shtml
>   and then in FireFox select: View-> Page Style and switch between the
> two provided styles.  Neato!
>
> If you want my opinion on the visual style I'd say it's a huge
> improvement over the digital mars site.  The flare gives it a
> sophisticated feel.  However, please don't let trivial matters like the
> "look" of the site slow us down from getting accurate and useful
> information out to the world.  If you have a single point of change the
> look can be tweaked as time goes on.

I haven't been changing the content--indeed I have purposely stayed away
from doing so.  I believe that the desired direction is to get a good
look and feel working independently of the content, and the content can
be modified independently of my changes.  I do have some thoughts on
what kind of content changes I'd like to see, though.

> In terms of layout I agree with filgood that a site like
> http://fantom.org/ is a better model.  It has the most important links
> in BIG colorful text on the home page:
>    1) What is D?
>    2) What does it look like?
>    3) How do I download it?
>
> With a site like fantom.org <http://fantom.org> you can tell that
> somebody sat down and though out: What's really important to my users?
> What are the primary use-cases of my visitors?
>
> My 2cents.  I'd be glad to help if you need it.
> - Adam

If you or anyone else is interested in hacking at my look and feel
please let me know and I can send you a .zip of the DDoc source code
with my changes.  If you want to hack at the original DDoc files without
my changes they're in the Phobos repository at
http://www.dsource.org/projects/phobos/browser/trunk/docsrc