[OT] Dark Star (1974) - the platinum age of movies

Jeff Nowakowski jeff at dilacero.org
Sat Sep 4 03:31:47 PDT 2010

On 09/03/2010 10:12 PM, bearophile wrote:

> Greg Egan is exceptionally good and he invents some of the most incredible ideas, but he's not for everyone.

I was curious and checked out his website. I ended up reading the short
story “Crystal Nights”: http://ttapress.com/553/crystal-nights-by-greg-egan/

I liked it, but it was a modern-day take on "Microcosmic God" from 1941.
I would be a little bit wary about attributing a bunch of new ideas from
him. Lots of ideas are "in the air" and in many cases there's not much
new under the sun. Just a different variation on a theme. The stories
may still be good, but they are not necessarily revolutionary.