CMake for D2 ready for testers

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sun Sep 5 22:55:58 PDT 2010

"SK" <sk at metrokings.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.113.1283750971.858.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
> Why labor over buggy Makefiles when you could be laboring over buggy
> CMake files at a much more productive level of abstraction?  :o)
>
> With excellent help from Jens Mueller and Dean Calver, CMake for D2
> now passes our small suite of unit tests on both Windows and Linux.
> Our tests include mixed C-D applications and libraries.  We tested
> with CMake 2.8.2 and DMD 2.048.  We'd appreciate if a few hardy souls
> were willing to take a test drive.  Check it out here:
> http://code.google.com/p/cmaked2.  Please report problems on the
> cmaked2 tracker rather than here.
>
> Unfortunately, we have not had an opportunity to test on Mac OS's.
>
> Briefly, CMake is a cross-platform "make maker".  Many people find
> CMake more attractive than traditional Makefiles or Autotools,
> especially for large projects.  You can find more information here:
> http://www.cmake.org.

Interesting, I had no idea cmake generated makefiles. (For that matter, I
had no idea cmake was anything more that yet another version of make, like
nmake, GNU make, etc.)

Not to be contentious, just curious about the design philosophy behind
cmake: Why is it a layer on-top of make at all instead of just bypassing the
antiquated make altogether? GNU autotools does the same thing (ie, "fix"
make by just adding more layers on top of it), and that always struck me as
silly. Is there some particular reason for this approach?