CMake for D2 ready for testers

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisprog at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 02:13:47 PDT 2010

On Monday 06 September 2010 01:53:55 Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> Well, I guess what I mean is, compared to something like SCons, Rake or
> A-A-P. Those tools, like cmake, handle cross-platform no problem while
> providing far saner syntax than traditional make. But unline cmake, they
> don't have any reliance on traditional make even on unix. Granted, they
> don't generate IDE project files, but my initial impression of that is
> importing information *from* IDE project files would seem to be a more
> practical approach.
>
> From what tiny bit I read on the site (it seemed suprisingly hard to find
> the documentation on the site, but maybe that was just me), it does seem
> heavily C/C++ centric, and so it looks like it may be able to handle
> different C/C++ compilers fairly well. By contrast, SCons and Rake, as far
> as I can tell, don't seem to have any specific provisions for abstracting
> different compilers for a single language (though A-A-P does try to do
> that). So maybe that has something to do with it?
>
> Again, I hope I'm not coming across as challenging the usefulness or
> quality of cmake - that's not my intent. Just curious about why it chooses
> not to ditch traditional-make entierly like some of the other build
> systems do.

I really have no idea why cmake doesn't ditch makefiles. It's probably because
it's intended as a wrapper for a build system as opposed to being the build
system itself, but I don't know.

As for the documentation, I thought that it was extremely poor overall, so I got
the book. They really should improve their documentation.

- Jonathan M Davis