Bikeshedding fun: suggest a name for 64 bit Phobos library

Simen kjaeraas simen.kjaras at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 05:44:23 PDT 2010

On Mon, 06 Sep 2010 09:55:42 +0200, Stanislav Blinov
<stanislav.blinov at gmail.com> wrote:

> Walter Bright wrote:
>> We already have:
>>      libphobos.a   Phobos 1, 32 bit
>>     libphobos2.a  Phobos 2, 32 bit
>>  What should the 64 bit Phobos be named?
>
> I'd agree that yet another name is not needed, but just for fun - you
> have another moon :) That name would fully reflect feelings of people
> facing D anew when they look at things like std.algorithm or std.range :)

We should have chosen a planet with more moons, to be forward-compatible
- for what happens when D3 (or 128-bit, to stay more on topic) arrives?

There was a Deimos project for D already, available on
http://dsource.org/projects/deimos. It is however abandoned, so one could
conceivably take their name.

Now, the main problem is that we are currently talking only about what
the 64-bit version of the library should be called, and calling that
Deimos and the 32-bit Phobos is bound to confuse people.

--
Simen