[Slight OT] TDPL in Russia

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Mon Sep 6 21:59:59 PDT 2010

"BCS" <none at anon.com> wrote in message
news:a6268ff1b9958cd1bfa012970d8 at news.digitalmars.com...
> Hello Nick,
>
>> Ugh, don't even get me started on MicroSD. Ordinary SD is already too
>> small if you ask me, although I still put up with it anyway. Now
>> MicroSD, well I can't say anything about it without raising my blood
>> pressure...
>>

> My point was that space (volume) is not what limits how much space (GB) a
> phone has.

And my link dispelled that myth. Try putting 200GB+ into a MicroSD form
factor at the cost of a 2.5" HDD. Yea, eventually that'll happen, but by
then I could get a HDD many times bigger than that for the same price.

>> Besides:
>> http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.phtml?N=4294966955+42
>> 94953566&sht=Any&prt=NewProduct&
>
> If I wanted more sortage than I can put on flash cards, I'd breing a
> lap-top. OTOH: this is the class of phone I use:
> http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US-EN/Consumer-Product-and-Services/Mobile-Phones/Motorola-Stature-i9-US-EN

You're not everyone. Some people would rather have HDD-level storage
capacity.

> In this day and age, you would be hard pressed to suggest a smart
> phone/PDA needs more than a 1 maybe 2 USB ports. You might, just maybe,
> talk me into believing that an HDMI port could be handy. But that would
> really push it.

Ugh, I hate HDMI, but that's a whole other discussion ;)

>> - TV Out (for picture/video-viewing, and there's a million different
>> kinds
>> of TV-Out these days)
>
> USB can do that, and at the image quality a smart phone can drive it
> wouldn't be a bottle neck.

News to me.

>> - Back before built-in cameras became common, I could have said
>> "camera".
>> All just off the top of my head, there's probably others.
>>

> And as I pointed out to Walter, are those things you want to ADD or do you
> want them in there to begin with?

1. I don't want to pay for features I don't need, or don't need right away.
And I'm the only one who can effectively decide what I do or don't need/want
and when. Therefore, a system that's based around expandability beats the
hell out of "You get whatever we choose to pre-package together for you."

2. Expandability provides a level of future-proofing (much moreso if you
don't limit it to USB). Unlike all the sheep out there, I'm not interested
in disposable gadgets.