[Slight OT] TDPL in Russia

BCS none at anon.com
Mon Sep 6 22:45:55 PDT 2010

Hello Nick,

> "BCS" <none at anon.com> wrote in message
> news:a6268ff1b9958cd1bfa012970d8 at news.digitalmars.com...
>
>> Hello Nick,
>>
>>> Ugh, don't even get me started on MicroSD. Ordinary SD is already
>>> too small if you ask me, although I still put up with it anyway. Now
>>> MicroSD, well I can't say anything about it without raising my blood
>>> pressure...
>>>
>> My point was that space (volume) is not what limits how much space
>> (GB) a phone has.
>>
> And my link dispelled that myth. Try putting 200GB+ into a MicroSD
> form factor at the cost of a 2.5" HDD. Yea, eventually that'll happen,
> but by then I could get a HDD many times bigger than that for the same
> price.

I wouldn't. I'd put it in a package about 4-5 times as big and mount it on
the PC board. Besides, what the heck do you need more than about 32GB for
on a phone? If you need to shoot that much video, get a real camera!

>>> Besides:
>>> http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.phtml?N=4294966955+
>>> 42 94953566&sht=Any&prt=NewProduct&
>>>
>> If I wanted more sortage than I can put on flash cards, I'd breing a
>> lap-top. OTOH: this is the class of phone I use:
>> http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US-EN/Consumer-Product-and-Services
>> /Mobile-Phones/Motorola-Stature-i9-US-EN
>>
> You're not everyone. Some people would rather have HDD-level storage
> capacity.

1) I don't want an HDD in my phone. Moving parts? Ouch!
2) That will always be cheaper as an external HDD. Some people will want
to use their phone as a weapon, should that also be a design criteria?

>> In this day and age, you would be hard pressed to suggest a smart
>> phone/PDA needs more than a 1 maybe 2 USB ports. You might, just
>> maybe, talk me into believing that an HDMI port could be handy. But
>> that would really push it.
>>
> Ugh, I hate HDMI, but that's a whole other discussion ;)

I just picked the smallest video connector I could think of.

>>> - TV Out (for picture/video-viewing, and there's a million different
>>> kinds
>>> of TV-Out these days)
>> USB can do that, and at the image quality a smart phone can drive it
>> wouldn't be a bottle neck.
>>
> News to me.

Which part:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=usb+video+card

http://www.acousticpc.com/images/a_zalman_rhs88_heatsink_instaled_views.jpg

(yes, I know you don't need that big a heatsink but, video sinks lots of
watts.

>>> - Back before built-in cameras became common, I could have said
>>> "camera".
>>> All just off the top of my head, there's probably others.
>> And as I pointed out to Walter, are those things you want to ADD or
>> do you want them in there to begin with?
>>
> 1. I don't want to pay for features I don't need, or don't need right
> away. And I'm the only one who can effectively decide what I do or
> don't need/want and when. Therefore, a system that's based around
> expandability beats the hell out of "You get whatever we choose to
> pre-package together for you."

YAGNI: The trade off for expandability is increased size (off hand, I'd say
2-3x) and cost (??x) and MOST people will never use it. And I'm including
the people who think they will like you. Unless you can say up front what
you will be adding and when, I'd bet money you would never add anything to
a phone. OTOH factory options... Maybe.

> 2. Expandability provides a level of future-proofing (much moreso if
> you don't limit it to USB). Unlike all the sheep out there, I'm not
> interested in disposable gadgets.

Neither am I and I still think you are on a wild goose chase.
--
... <IXOYE><