Does DMD build as a 32bit binary under linux?

Don nospam at nospam.com
Tue Sep 7 00:28:23 PDT 2010

BCS wrote:
> Hello Walter,
>
>> BCS wrote:
>>
>>> I assuem that a 64bit DMD building 64bit binaries is one of the
>>> objective right now. How about a 64bit->32bit? (Or for that matter,
>>> 32bit->64bit.)
>>>
>> There's not much reason to provide a 64 bit binary of dmd. I doubt it
>> would run any faster, and there's no need for a compiler to consume 5
>> GB of memory.
>>

> I've hit 1GB compileing a single file. It wouldn't be hard to hit 3GB.

Yes, but I'm almost certain that's just DMD's poor memory management,
rather than an intrinsic memory-hungry problem. Array literals consume a
*ridiculous* amount of memory, especially when you start modifying them
in CTFE.
The solution is to improve the memory management, rather than give the
compiler another 200GB to waste <g>.