Creation in Dylan

Pillsy pillsbury at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 07:17:51 PDT 2010

bearophile Wrote:

> Regarding the recent small thread about the "new" statement,
> this is how the Dylan language faces the problem (found through
> Lambda The Ultimate):

> http://www.opendylan.org/books/drm/Constructing_and_Initializing_Instances#make

How would you make this work without open multimethods[1] and dynamically typed varargs?

I think Dylan is a great language, but a lot of its features would be a poor fit for D for much the same reason that a lot of features from Python would be a poor fit for D. Even features that could work extremely well in the context of D---like multimethods---would be a huge addition.

Cheers,
Pillsy

[1] The "open multimethods" described in
    http://www2.research.att.com/~bs/multimethods.pdf
are very similar to Dylan's "generic functions". They don't have a lot to do with "generics" or "generic programming".