[Slight OT] TDPL in Russia

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Wed Sep 8 19:12:37 PDT 2010

Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 14:58:39 -0400, Walter Bright
> <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:
>
>> Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>>> FWIW, Metallica's Garage Inc (the second disc) has some sort of
>>> anti-copy distortion.  You can actually see a pattern on the data
>>> side of the disc.  The result when you encode it via MP3 is some
>>> slight distortion, even at 160kb/s.  It's pretty bearable though.  I
>>> would expect that a bit-for-bit copy would not have any issues
>>> though.  It's not copy protection, it's ripping protection.
>>
>> Given that Metallica uses heavily distorted guitars anyway, who would
>> notice?
>
> You notice in the cymbals the most :)  And Ulrich uses a lot of cymbals.
>
> But you are right, the guitars aren't as noticeable (you can still hear
> it though).

Back in the 80's, it wasn't unusual for a compiler vendor to release a "student"
version or some such, that was missing a feature like floating point. The
problem, though, was that the compiler would earn a reputation as not having
floating point and people would turn elsewhere when they would want to buy a
professional compiler.

In introducing such subtle distortion, Metallica runs the risk of being labeled
a band with lousy sound.