[Slight OT] TDPL in Russia

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Wed Sep 8 23:44:27 PDT 2010

Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "Walter Bright" <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
>> Secondly, people ought to read contracts before they sign them. It's their
>> own fault if they don't.
>
> Until recent years, if you wanted to be a successful musician (aside from
> scoring, and there's really only so much demand for that) you *had* to sign
> one of those constracts. There was no choice - they had an oligopoly on the
> entire market, and if you wanted in they had you by the balls.

Of course there was a choice. You could go with a major and get a tiny cut, or
an independent with a larger cut, or do it yourself and keep 100%.

>> Contracts with children aren't legally binding because children are not
>> considered legally competent. Adults are.
>>

> I've seen very few adults I'd consider "competent", but oh well ;)

A marketplace is impossible without the ability to make binding contracts.
Nobody is going to invest in you or lend you money if you can just walk away
from it later if you change your mind.

>> I always get the old versions of CDs before they were remastered :-) as I
>> don't care for the audio leveling.
>
> I've always been unclear on what that is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression#Marketing

And here's why I shoot for the old ones:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cd_loudness_trend-something.gif