[Slight OT] TDPL in Russia

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Thu Sep 9 00:59:55 PDT 2010

Thu, 09 Sep 2010 01:25:51 -0400, Nick Sabalausky wrote:

> "Walter Bright" <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
> news:i69jg8$2muo$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> I always get the old versions of CDs before they were remastered :-) as
>> I don't care for the audio leveling.
>
> I've always been unclear on what that is. Is that where they make the
> volume-level relatively consistent? (If so, then I wish the DVD
> companies would start doing it. I hate when I have to turn the volume
> *waaay* up just to hear the dialog and then *waaay* down again to not
> bust my eardrums as soon as music or sound effects come on. And then
> tough shit whenever a character talks during an action scene. Never had
> to deal with that crap on VHS.)

Movies tend to have a large dynamic range. And that's good. I paid serious
money to get almost flat freq response from 18 Hz to 25 kHz and power
handling levels up to 750W RMS. Your amp might have a "evening/night
mode" that automatically compresses the dynamic range by say 16 or 24 dB.
The atmosphere feels dull and unsurprising if your dynamic range is very
limited (but your crappy audio equipment might like it).

The loudness war ruins all modern albums. They've decided that each year
the same music should contain less and less information. This is really
bad for true art. But it increases the record sales of disappointing pop
albums.