[Slight OT] TDPL in Russia

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 9 04:40:25 PDT 2010

On Thu, 09 Sep 2010 07:28:12 -0400, Daniel Gibson <metalcaedes at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Steven Schveighoffer schrieb:
>> On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 22:12:37 -0400, Walter Bright
>> <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

>>> Back in the 80's, it wasn't unusual for a compiler vendor to release a
>>> "student" version or some such, that was missing a feature like
>>> floating point. The problem, though, was that the compiler would earn
>>> a reputation as not having floating point and people would turn
>>> elsewhere when they would want to buy a professional compiler.
>>>
>>> In introducing such subtle distortion, Metallica runs the risk of
>>> being labeled a band with lousy sound.
>>  Note that the sound is fine if you are playing the CD, it's if you rip
>> the tracks to MP3s when the sound degrades.
>>  BTW, I think they abandoned this, the Death Magnetic album does not
>> have this protection.
>>  -Steve
>
> The Death Magnetic album had crappy sound anyway, according to Wikipedia:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Magnetic#Criticism_regarding_production
> (But not because of the copy protection but because of the
> aforementioned loudness war).

*shrug* sounds good to me ;)  The production quality is low, but I'm
pretty sure that was on purpose.  I've never heard of the dynamic range
thing, and I've never really noticed it.

On another note, ...And Justice for All is an album that you can turn up
all the way and it's never loud enough :)

Crappy sound that I'm talking about is like a "wishuwishuwishu" sound over
the whole recording.  I can only hear it on my ripped tracks of Garage Inc
(and only the second disc, the one they recorded for the album
specifically), the actual disc doesn't exhibit the sound.  I think they
did something to the high frequencies that messes up mp3 encoders.

-Steve