[Slight OT] TDPL in Russia

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Fri Sep 10 10:31:05 PDT 2010

Nick Sabalausky Wrote:

> I was avoiding stating my own Metallica opinions, but now that you mention
> it, that's exactly how I feel (and yea, I have heard a lot of other people
> say Load was the start of a downfall). I did kind of like "Until it Sleeps"
> and maybe one other (forget what), but yea, most of Load/Reload I just never
> got into. "Black album" was filed with good stuff, and I never understood
> people that said "St. Anger" was a return to Metallica's former glory. Just
> sounded like noise to me, and I'm a big metal fan!

I think the first album of their downhill slide was the Black Album.  Its production quality was extremely high, and one of the things I liked best about Metallica was the garage sound of the earlier albums.  Musically, I really can't fault it though.

> Speaking of all this, am I correct in my understanding that Load was right
> after Megadeth split off? (And that "black album" was right before?)

Dave Mustaine left Metallica before they'd ever released an album, I believe.  He had a strong influence on their early sound though, and I believe he actually wrote a bunch of their early songs.  Overall I think Metallica is more intelligent but Megadeth wins for raw power.  I prefer Anthrax over either though :-)