[Slight OT] TDPL in Russia

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 10 11:46:13 PDT 2010

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 13:31:05 -0400, Sean Kelly <sean at invisibleduck.org>
wrote:

> Nick Sabalausky Wrote:
>>
>> I was avoiding stating my own Metallica opinions, but now that you
>> mention
>> it, that's exactly how I feel (and yea, I have heard a lot of other
>> people
>> say Load was the start of a downfall). I did kind of like "Until it
>> Sleeps"
>> and maybe one other (forget what), but yea, most of Load/Reload I just
>> never
>> got into. "Black album" was filed with good stuff, and I never
>> understood
>> people that said "St. Anger" was a return to Metallica's former glory.
>> Just
>> sounded like noise to me, and I'm a big metal fan!
>
> I think the first album of their downhill slide was the Black Album.
> Its production quality was extremely high, and one of the things I liked
> best about Metallica was the garage sound of the earlier albums.
> Musically, I really can't fault it though.

I have a video of Metallica documenting the making of the Black album (A
year and a half in the life of Metallica).

You may not like the not-garage sound of the album, but it was one of the
best produced albums they had, and Bob Rock did an excellent job.  One of
the coolest things on that video was how they built a special bizarre
shaped enclosure for the rhythm guitar on Sad But True, in order to get
the correct deep guttural sound.  They definitely worked hard to get
exactly the sound they wanted, so I feel like that album was almost the
peak of how they wanted to sound.  Kirk Hammett said the solo on The
Unforgiven was the best solo he's ever done.  It is a pretty good solo :)

Second to that sound, I like the sound of the band from Garage Days Re-Re
visited, and then Master of Puppets.  Justice was completely horrible
sounding, although the music was extremely good, probably my favorite.

Many people feel that they sold out on the Justice album because that was
the first album they released a video for.  It all depends on your
preference for "nicheness."

-Steve