blog: Overlooked Essentials for Optimizing Code

Jesse Phillips jessekphillips+D at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 15:30:38 PDT 2010

Walter Bright Wrote:

> http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/dc6ir/overlooked_essentials_for_optimizing_code/

I don't like profilers, they slow the execution of my code by like a bagillian times. Actually this article got me to try it again and is the first time I noticed a difference.

You've always promoted the built in profiler in D so I tried it and nothing changed (at least that would be what I thought), I'd never used a profiler before so I didn't know how it should work.

Is there information on what the output of trace.log and trace.def mean? And I guess I can run the demaingler against  this output, any tools already handle this?

.def is listing functions for me, why? The log format seems to be

Section
    number      function      number number number
End/Begin Section

Is this like a standard profiler output format?