Well, it's been a total failure

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 10:18:36 PDT 2010

Andrei Alexandrescu schrieb:
> On 09/11/2010 05:52 PM, Vladimir G. Ivanovic wrote:
>>   I'm running Fedora 13.x86_64 and I've tried various ways of getting a
>> D compiler to work. None have succeeded.
>>
>> 1. a. I can't install dmd 2.048:
>>
>>          # rpm -Uvh /downloads/dmd-2.048-0.i386.rpm
>>          error: Failed dependencies:
>>             gcc(x86-32)>= 4.2.3 is needed by dmd-2.048-0.i386
>>     I don't know what package will satisfy this dependency.
>>     b. dmd is a closed compiler. Not good. I'm really not comfortable
>> running a compiler for which I don't have access to the source. The
>> risk of undetected malware is too great.
>>     c. So, I give up on dmd.
>
> Apologies for the poor experience. It's because you don't have the
> 32-bit portability libraries on your 64-bit system. A 64-bit edition is
> in the works and would certainly make everything smoother.
>
> In the meantime you'd need to run:
>
> sudo apt-get install gcc-multilib libc6-i386 lib6-dev-i386
> sudo apt-get install gcc-multilib
> sudo apt-get install g++-multilib
>
> We need to add these instructions to the download page.
>

> Andrei

The information is there:
http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/dmd-linux.html#installation

However apt-get is Debian/Ubuntu specific, so these commands are not
*directly* applicable for fedora.
However equivalent packages should be available on fedora and instead of
apt-get install it's something like yum install gcc-multilib etc (or
whatever the packages are called there).

Cheers,
- Daniel