Well, it's been a total failure

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 13 14:25:58 PDT 2010

On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 17:11:30 -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu

> On 09/13/2010 12:32 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
>> Russel Winder wrote:
>>> To be honest I don't give a fig about how the zipfile is created, the
>>> scripts and executables for Linux should come with the execute
>>> permission preset. It is a ridiculous irritation that after unzipping a
>>> supposed binary distribution, I then have to go and work out which
>>> files
>>> to make executable. If Windows cannot hack building a proper zipfile
>>> then a machine with a proper operating system should be used so that
>>> the
>>> zipfile is fit for its purpose.
>>

>> Of course you're right, and I know it, I've just been lazy. I spent some
>> time on google and cannot find a zip program for Windows that enables
>> one to set (or even display) the file attributes in zip files. Go
>> figure. So I'll just write one using Phobos' std.zip.
>
> s/So I\'ll just write one using Phobos\' std.zip/So I\'ll just use zip
> on Linux and call it a day/

Better yet, have downloads for the different OSes.  Downloading all
executables/compiled libs for all platforms when I'm interested in one
makes no sense.  The current zipfile is at 10MB, if I trim out all but my
OS, it is down to 5MB.

I assume you are not building all the compiled binaries and libs on a
cross-compiler, so at this point, you have to go to each OS *anyways*.
Then make the OSX and Linux ones tarballs.

Finally, the files that are extracted should be under a directory named
for the compiler version.  For example, if I extract dmd.2.048.zip, it
should extract into a dmd2.048 directory, not dmd2.

-Steve