Well, it's been a total failure

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 13 14:28:32 PDT 2010

== Quote from Andrei Alexandrescu (SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org)'s article
> On 09/13/2010 12:32 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> > Russel Winder wrote:
> >> To be honest I don't give a fig about how the zipfile is created, the
> >> scripts and executables for Linux should come with the execute
> >> permission preset. It is a ridiculous irritation that after unzipping a
> >> supposed binary distribution, I then have to go and work out which files
> >> to make executable. If Windows cannot hack building a proper zipfile
> >> then a machine with a proper operating system should be used so that the
> >> zipfile is fit for its purpose.
> >

> > Of course you're right, and I know it, I've just been lazy. I spent some
> > time on google and cannot find a zip program for Windows that enables
> > one to set (or even display) the file attributes in zip files. Go
> > figure. So I'll just write one using Phobos' std.zip.
> s/So I\'ll just write one using Phobos\' std.zip/So I\'ll just use zip
> on Linux and call it a day/
> Waste of time doesn't begin to describe this.
> Andrei

Well, some people (like me) just plain prefer Windows over Linux.  That said,
there's always Cygwin.  I love the command line environment of Unix-like OS's, but
prefer certain things about Windows like having stable ABIs for the basic OS
facilities (meaning that I can just download and unpack a binary and it
**consistently** just works across all modern Windows machines) and having
hardware support that doesn't suck horribly.  Cygwin lets me have it both ways.
Also, Cygwin's zip is probably compiled from the same source as any Linux
distro's, and should probably do what you need.