Well, it's been a total failure

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 13 14:56:52 PDT 2010

On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 17:44:57 -0400, Andrej Mitrovic
<andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com> wrote:

> Can't you use your archiver to do that for you? F2, rename, extract.
> Done deal. I like to keep the latest version in the DMD2 folder, all
> the better for compatibility with existing build scripts. I really
> wouldn't want to have to keep renaming paths in makefiles for every
> release of DMD2. Although I'll never have that problem since I can
> rename the folder inside the zip.

I don't use an "archiver", I just unzip.  Then I have to rename.  I
typically keep all versions I've extracted intact so I can test older
versions against code.

I can see why that's not advantageous to simple users.  However, it's
pretty standard to have source archives extract to a version-specific
directory, and there's a lot of source code in the archive.  For one
thing, you don't want to extract over the old one, since files that may be
deleted in the new archive would not be removed by extracting.

The best way to handle installation for your purposes is to use an
installer.  That will remove older files and install newer ones.

BTW, this is a non-issue on non-windows systems, because you have the
universally accepted symlink method of pointing at a different version.

-Steve