Well, it's been a total failure

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 16:21:00 PDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 12:56 AM, Walter Bright
<newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>
>> There's nothing wrong about preferring Windows over Linux. I'm just saying
>> (much like you) that badly reinventing Unix tools under Windows is not quite
>> productive.
>
> The unix version of zip has no option to set the file attributes either.

It has the (default) option of preserving the attributes and the
option (-X) to explicitly not save the attributes.

What is the reason for delivering executables for 4 different
operating systems in the same archive anyway?
Having a different archive for each OS would reduce the download-size
and you could use archive formats that are better suited for each
platform, e.g. tar for unixoid systems. Tar *does* allow to set the
owner/group/mode attributes when adding files to a tarball. At least
gnu tar does, but probably there are ports for windows are able to do
the same thing.

Cheers,
- Daniel