Well, it's been a total failure

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Mon Sep 13 17:57:25 PDT 2010

On 09/13/2010 07:47 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>>
>>> The unix version of zip has no option to set the file attributes either.
>>
>> It does preserve them. Zip a binary and then unzip it - it'll run.
>

> zip on unix has no way to set the Windows attributes, and zip on Windows
> has no way to set the unix attributes. Both have attributes that have no
> analogs on the other. Both have no way to set the non-native attributes.

I didn't know there is an executable attribute on Windows.

Anyhow, I guess that underlines the necessity to do what everybody does
- assemble the installer on the distribution platform, and have it only
contain the files for that platform. An increasingly large audience is
looking at us, and we should avoid being provincial. I'm not even sure
why we're having this discussion - there should be no debate here: we do
what people do. This reminds me of the discussion of yesteryear - people
were complaining about C++ files in dmd having the .c extension, and the
right answer would have been to change the blessed thing to be like
everybody else has it, instead of finding arguments on why it worked the
way it was.

Andrei