Well, it's been a total failure

Russel Winder russel at russel.org.uk
Mon Sep 13 21:51:38 PDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-09-13 at 19:57 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
[ . . . ]
> Anyhow, I guess that underlines the necessity to do what everybody does
> - assemble the installer on the distribution platform, and have it only
> contain the files for that platform. An increasingly large audience is
[ . . . ]

So create a Linux distribution on a Linux box (*) containing only the
Linux materials with tar not zip using bzip2 or gzip compression.
Solaris, FreeBSD, etc. all go the same.  Doing this for the source
distribution will assist getting things into the Debian packaging
system.

On Windows I guess zip created on a Windows box (*) is the only option.
I am sure Windows people will be happy not to have all the Linux and Mac
OS stuff (which to them is crud).

For Mac OS X the question is whether to make a Mac OS X installer, or
ship a zipfile or tarball -- difficult for me to call I am not really a
Mac OS X person, but . . . it would be really good to have a port in
MacPorts to save the hassle of doing any manual installation. (**)

Can I suggest that as part of the revolution that is going to be caused
by having a 64-bit as well as 32-bit version of D v2, that there is a
campaign to have D in Debian, Fedora and MacPorts.

(*)  No need for separate Linux and Windows hardware, though that is
best, you can just use virtual machines.

(**) Mac OS X sort of does require A$$le hardware.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at russel.org.uk