Well, it's been a total failure

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 14 03:38:06 PDT 2010

On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 21:44:35 -0400, Walter Bright
<newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> On 09/13/2010 07:47 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
>>> zip on unix has no way to set the Windows attributes, and zip on
>>> Windows
>>> has no way to set the unix attributes. Both have attributes that have
>>> no
>>> analogs on the other. Both have no way to set the non-native
>>> attributes.
>>  I didn't know there is an executable attribute on Windows.
>
> There isn't. But there are system, hidden, and archive attribute bits
> that have no analog on unix. Not that we use any of those bits...

Um... ok, so logic says that in this particular case, the most universally
useful archive is formed on Linux.  I don't see where your point is...

> I'm just arguing the point that unix utilities are not always better -
> in this case, they have the same deficiency. Googling this particular
> issue brings up pages where people are told to use python scripts to set
> the attributes in a zip file.

This isn't a unix vs. windows war.  We aren't counting up the points that
the utilities score to see who is better.  We just want an archive that
does the right thing on all OSes.  This can be achieved by building it on
Linux.  So do it already :)

BTW, the fact that zip is not all-encompassing on Linux is not surprising
-- the main method of archive distribution on Linux is tar.gz/bz2.

> It's also nice to eat our own dogfood, and do something useful with
> std.zip.

Not that anyone here is in charge of your time, I think Andrei's "waste of
time" point is that there are better, more productive things you can do
for the good of D.  If someone else wants to write this utility, great.
But in the meantime, can we just put in the easy fix?

-Steve