Well, it's been a total failure

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Tue Sep 14 03:41:26 PDT 2010

Mon, 13 Sep 2010 18:44:35 -0700, Walter Bright wrote:

> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> On 09/13/2010 07:47 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
>>> zip on unix has no way to set the Windows attributes, and zip on
>>> Windows has no way to set the unix attributes. Both have attributes
>>> that have no analogs on the other. Both have no way to set the
>>> non-native attributes.
>>
>> I didn't know there is an executable attribute on Windows.
>
> There isn't. But there are system, hidden, and archive attribute bits
> that have no analog on unix. Not that we use any of those bits, I'm just
> arguing the point that unix utilities are not always better - in this
> case, they have the same deficiency.

The difference is, on *nix the disabled executable flag prevents *all
users* from launching the application. The attributes have a standard
meaning. *nix also has the 'hidden flag' in form of files with names
starting with a dot.

The S, H, and A attributes don't have any use when shipping 3rd party
userspace applications. The A attribute would matter if various archivers
actually preserved it and there was a standard on when to set it on.

> It's also nice to eat our own dogfood, and do something useful with
> std.zip.

And D is a pragmatic language? Listen man, you the Superman of the D
world and instead of fighting crimes, you're always knitting socks.