Well, it's been a total failure

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Tue Sep 14 08:11:47 PDT 2010

On 09/14/2010 05:41 AM, retard wrote:
> Mon, 13 Sep 2010 18:44:35 -0700, Walter Bright wrote:
>> It's also nice to eat our own dogfood, and do something useful with
>> std.zip.
>
> And D is a pragmatic language? Listen man, you the Superman of the D
> world and instead of fighting crimes, you're always knitting socks.

Well ideally we'd eat our dogfood by bootstrapping dmd. I think that'll
happen at some point in the future due to the nice ddmd ongoing effort.
Walter is itching to use D's power in day-to-day work.

There is a fuzzy limit regarding what should be a script vs. a program.
For example, rdmd did start as a script. Probably it still could be, but
it's involved and specialized enough to justify writing it in D. My
guess is that the script would have more lines and would be much more
difficult to maintain than the D program.

But writing a zipper in D that essentially emulates a zip command
line... I mean come on.

Andrei

P.S. Never been fond of std.zip's interface...