DMD source overview?

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Tue Sep 14 12:33:37 PDT 2010

"Eldar Insafutdinov" <e.insafutdinov at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:i6ni0q$31jt$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Hi Nick!
>
> If you are going to replace dmd's backend, you might want to have a look
> at ddmd,
> as we have plans to make other backends for it. And of course it is much
> more
> pleasant to work with D rather than C++!

Actually I was thinking of doing as much of my backend as possible in D
anyway since D and C are supposed to be link-compatible (and since I got
really fed up with C/C++ a long time ago). Of course, dmd is C++, not C, so
I figure I might need to add a C-based bridge-to-my-backend in the
front-end...unless dmd sticks to the subset of C++ that D2 supports linking
with? (Anyone know if that's the case?)

But you do raise a good point. What's the current state of ddmd's front-end?
What I have in mind is to just rip out dmd's current backend stuff entirely,
maybe even including the toObjFile and toIR methods, or at least big chunks
of them, and replace it all with a PHP-generator. (Yea...I'm fairly
determined to be able to do as much of my web dev as possible in D.) So
depending on the current level of ddmd's progress, I'm wondering if it might
be more practical to just stick with my orignal plan of using dmd and then
switch over to ddmd once ddmd is ready. Although, one benefit of using dmd
is it would likely make it quicker and easier to merge in changes from new
dmd releases.