Well, it's been a total failure

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Tue Sep 14 14:14:42 PDT 2010

retard wrote:
> The difference is, on *nix the disabled executable flag prevents *all
> users* from launching the application. The attributes have a standard
> meaning.

No, the meanings are not standard between Windows and Linux. There's no way to
make them standard, either. The file systems are *different*.

> *nix also has the 'hidden flag' in form of files with names
> starting with a dot.

A filename convention is not a file attribute bit, and there's no way to pretend
they are the same in a portable archiver.

> The S, H, and A attributes don't have any use when shipping 3rd party
> userspace applications.

That's up to the distributor. I don't like 'em and don't use 'em, but I'd
support them properly if I was writing a file packager/unpackager.

The right solution is supported by the zip file format - there are separate
attribute fields for unix and Windows. The unzipper follows them, it's just that
the zipper offers no way to set them for systems other than the one the zipper
is run on.