Well, it's been a total failure

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Tue Sep 14 15:56:35 PDT 2010

On 9/14/10 16:06 CDT, Walter Bright wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> Yes. Please, let's not waste our time rewriting shell two-liners as
>> specialized programs.
>
> It's not always a waste of time. For example, I stopped using lib and ar
> to generate libraries and instead built it into dmd. The result is quite
> pleasing, it's very very fast to build libraries and does not litter
> one's directories with object files.

There is no comparison. You have spent time replacing a simple but
inefficient tool with one that improves efficiency sensibly. That is in
keeping with your own recent article on optimization. Your zip utility
(better call it "inutility") goes straight against your own advice and
also against common sense. It is not right to hijack the positive
reinforcement you got from replacing lib and ar, and use it to justify
the monumental waste of time that zip is.

Andrei