Well, it's been a total failure

Justin Johansson no at spam.com
Wed Sep 15 06:08:49 PDT 2010

On 14/09/2010 11:07 AM, bearophile wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu:
>
>> I didn't know there is an executable attribute on Windows.
>
> If you rename a txt file as .exe, if you click on it Windows tries to run it.
>

>> This reminds me of the discussion of yesteryear - people
>> were complaining about C++ files in dmd having the .c extension, and the
>> right answer would have been to change the blessed thing to be like
>> everybody else has it, instead of finding arguments on why it worked the
>> way it was.
>
> +1, despite there is more than one way to give suffix to C++ files.
> There is a bug report on this, not written by me.
> Having source code simple, clean, tidy, and readable is important for all open source projects, because that increases the probability of finding collaborators. Giving a sensible suffix to files is a starting point for that.
>
> Bye,
> bearophile

There is not a lot of use in creating your own "readable" file suffices
(alla file extensions).  Unless your file extension is known on the
platform you are using then there may be no hope of reasonable opening
your file with the requisite application on another platform.

Say if your name was Robin, would you name your text files as .bat ?

Holy Gotham (says Batman), am I to know what application to open that with?

Cheers,
Justin Johansson