A summary of D's design principles

Simen kjaeraas simen.kjaras at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 11:24:39 PDT 2010

Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote:

> A coworker asked me where he could find a brief document of D's design
> principles. This was after I'd mentioned the "no function hijacking"
> stance.
>
> I think it would be a great idea if the up-and-coming
> www.d-programming-language.org contained such a document.
>
> Ideas for what it could contain? I know we discussed this once in the
> past, but couldn't find the discussion.

I'm sure there are parts of it scattered all over digitalmars.com/d/,
and certainly in the newsgroup.
Off the top of my head:

Easy things easy, difficult things possible.

Safe before fast, but fast too.

If it works in C, it works the same or not at all in D.

Sugar is good for you, as is salt. In moderation.

Too much power is not enough. (Where are my macros?!)

Programmers are lazy, so give them what they should use in the
language. (unit testing, ddoc, contracts, versioning, etc...)

--
Simen