A summary of D's design principles

Don nospam at nospam.com
Wed Sep 15 12:13:27 PDT 2010

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> A coworker asked me where he could find a brief document of D's design
> principles. This was after I'd mentioned the "no function hijacking"
> stance.
>
> I think it would be a great idea if the up-and-coming
> www.d-programming-language.org contained such a document.
>
> Ideas for what it could contain? I know we discussed this once in the
> past, but couldn't find the discussion.
>

> Andrei

Here's one:

The machine model should map directly to the hardware of modern
machines. The machine model is inherited from C, but extended with
language support for hardware advances such as SIMD capabilities (in
the form of array operations), precise floating point semantics, and
explicitly shared memory.