One more update on d-programming-language.org

Robert Jacques sandford at jhu.edu
Thu Sep 16 07:42:41 PDT 2010

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 03:32:59 -0400, Lutger <lutger.blijdestijn at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Robert Jacques wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 09 Sep 2010 20:07:20 -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu
>> <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote:
>>
>>> http://d-programming-language.org
>>>
>>>  From David Gileadi: the annoying Google Translate bar behavior on
>>> browsers with other languages has been fixed, the behavior when
>>> shrinking and growing the window size has been improved, the Reddit
>>> button is gone, and a few styles were changed.
>>>
>>> Could have sworn I sent this already, it just disappeared.
>>>

>>> Andrei
>>
>> Hi Andrei,
>> The site still has major issues rendering with Opera (10.62). I've
>> linked
>> to a screen-shot (http://i56.tinypic.com/wakrw5.png) This is simply not
>> usable. Given that I don't have any html experience, is there still
>> something I can do to help fix this? (because otherwise the new site
>> looks
>> good.)
>
> Just for reference, this is the easy way to start fixing sites if you
> don't know
> where to begin:
>
> http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http://d-programming-language.org/
>
> The css validates 100%: http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-
> validator/validator?profile=css3&warning=2&uri=http://d-programming-
> language.org/

By the way here are the results from http://validator.w3.org/check#result

Errors found while checking this document as HTML 4.01 Strict!
10 Errors, 11 warning(s)

Validation Output: 10 Errors
  Line 12, Column 68: NET-enabling start-tag requires SHORTTAG YES

✉

The sequence <FOO /> can be interpreted in at least two different ways,
depending on the DOCTYPE of the document. For HTML 4.01 Strict, the '/'
terminates the tag <FOO (with an implied '>'). However, since many
browsers don't interpret it this way, even in the presence of an HTML 4.01
Strict DOCTYPE, it is best to avoid it completely in pure HTML documents
and reserve its use solely for those written in XHTML.
  Line 12, Column 69: character data is not allowed here

✉

You have used character data somewhere it is not permitted to appear.
Mistakes that can cause this error include:
putting text directly in the body of the document without wrapping it in a
container element (such as a <p>aragraph</p>), or
forgetting to quote an attribute value (where characters such as "%" and
"/" are common, but cannot appear without surrounding quotes), or
using XHTML-style self-closing tags (such as <meta ... />) in HTML 4.01 or
earlier. To fix, remove the extra slash ('/') character. For more
information about the reasons for this, see Empty elements in SGML, HTML,
XML, and XHTML.
  Line 13, Column 56: NET-enabling start-tag requires SHORTTAG YES

✉

The sequence <FOO /> can be interpreted in at least two different ways,
depending on the DOCTYPE of the document. For HTML 4.01 Strict, the '/'
terminates the tag <FOO (with an implied '>'). However, since many
browsers don't interpret it this way, even in the presence of an HTML 4.01
Strict DOCTYPE, it is best to avoid it completely in pure HTML documents
and reserve its use solely for those written in XHTML.
  Line 14, Column 59: NET-enabling start-tag requires SHORTTAG YES

✉

The sequence <FOO /> can be interpreted in at least two different ways,
depending on the DOCTYPE of the document. For HTML 4.01 Strict, the '/'
terminates the tag <FOO (with an implied '>'). However, since many
browsers don't interpret it this way, even in the presence of an HTML 4.01
Strict DOCTYPE, it is best to avoid it completely in pure HTML documents
and reserve its use solely for those written in XHTML.
  Line 16, Column 61: NET-enabling start-tag requires SHORTTAG YES
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="css/style.css" />

✉

The sequence <FOO /> can be interpreted in at least two different ways,
depending on the DOCTYPE of the document. For HTML 4.01 Strict, the '/'
terminates the tag <FOO (with an implied '>'). However, since many
browsers don't interpret it this way, even in the presence of an HTML 4.01
Strict DOCTYPE, it is best to avoid it completely in pure HTML documents
and reserve its use solely for those written in XHTML.
  Line 16, Column 62: character data is not allowed here
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="css/style.css" />

✉

You have used character data somewhere it is not permitted to appear.
Mistakes that can cause this error include:
putting text directly in the body of the document without wrapping it in a
container element (such as a <p>aragraph</p>), or
forgetting to quote an attribute value (where characters such as "%" and
"/" are common, but cannot appear without surrounding quotes), or
using XHTML-style self-closing tags (such as <meta ... />) in HTML 4.01 or
earlier. To fix, remove the extra slash ('/') character. For more
information about the reasons for this, see Empty elements in SGML, HTML,
XML, and XHTML.
  Line 17, Column 75: NET-enabling start-tag requires SHORTTAG YES
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="css/print.css" media="print"
/>

✉

The sequence <FOO /> can be interpreted in at least two different ways,
depending on the DOCTYPE of the document. For HTML 4.01 Strict, the '/'
terminates the tag <FOO (with an implied '>'). However, since many
browsers don't interpret it this way, even in the presence of an HTML 4.01
Strict DOCTYPE, it is best to avoid it completely in pure HTML documents
and reserve its use solely for those written in XHTML.
  Line 18, Column 46: NET-enabling start-tag requires SHORTTAG YES
<link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" />

✉

The sequence <FOO /> can be interpreted in at least two different ways,
depending on the DOCTYPE of the document. For HTML 4.01 Strict, the '/'
terminates the tag <FOO (with an implied '>'). However, since many
browsers don't interpret it this way, even in the presence of an HTML 4.01
Strict DOCTYPE, it is best to avoid it completely in pure HTML documents
and reserve its use solely for those written in XHTML.
  Line 46, Column 61: NET-enabling start-tag requires SHORTTAG YES
…arch-left.gif" width="11" height="22" /><input id="q" name="q" /><input
type="…

✉

The sequence <FOO /> can be interpreted in at least two different ways,
depending on the DOCTYPE of the document. For HTML 4.01 Strict, the '/'
terminates the tag <FOO (with an implied '>'). However, since many
browsers don't interpret it this way, even in the presence of an HTML 4.01
Strict DOCTYPE, it is best to avoid it completely in pure HTML documents
and reserve its use solely for those written in XHTML.
  Line 46, Column 61: required attribute "ALT" not specified
…arch-left.gif" width="11" height="22" /><input id="q" name="q" /><input
type="…

✉

The attribute given above is required for an element that you've used, but
you have omitted it. For instance, in most HTML and XHTML document types
the "type" attribute is required on the "script" element and the "alt"
attribute is required for the "img" element.

Typical values for type are type="text/css" for <style> and
type="text/javascript" for <script>.
  Line 46, Column 86: NET-enabling start-tag requires SHORTTAG YES
… height="22" /><input id="q" name="q" /><input type="image"
id="search-submit"…

✉

The sequence <FOO /> can be interpreted in at least two different ways,
depending on the DOCTYPE of the document. For HTML 4.01 Strict, the '/'
terminates the tag <FOO (with an implied '>'). However, since many
browsers don't interpret it this way, even in the presence of an HTML 4.01
Strict DOCTYPE, it is best to avoid it completely in pure HTML documents
and reserve its use solely for those written in XHTML.
  Line 46, Column 172: NET-enabling start-tag requires SHORTTAG YES
…type="image" id="search-submit" name="submit"
src="images/search-button.gif" />

✉

The sequence <FOO /> can be interpreted in at least two different ways,
depending on the DOCTYPE of the document. For HTML 4.01 Strict, the '/'
terminates the tag <FOO (with an implied '>'). However, since many
browsers don't interpret it this way, even in the presence of an HTML 4.01
Strict DOCTYPE, it is best to avoid it completely in pure HTML documents
and reserve its use solely for those written in XHTML.
  Line 47, Column 81: NET-enabling start-tag requires SHORTTAG YES
…<input type="hidden" id="domains" name="domains"
value="www.digitalmars.com" />

✉

The sequence <FOO /> can be interpreted in at least two different ways,
depending on the DOCTYPE of the document. For HTML 4.01 Strict, the '/'
terminates the tag <FOO (with an implied '>'). However, since many
browsers don't interpret it this way, even in the presence of an HTML 4.01
Strict DOCTYPE, it is best to avoid it completely in pure HTML documents
and reserve its use solely for those written in XHTML.
  Line 48, Column 77: NET-enabling start-tag requires SHORTTAG YES
			<input type="hidden" id="sourceid" name="sourceid"
value="google-search" />

✉

The sequence <FOO /> can be interpreted in at least two different ways,
depending on the DOCTYPE of the document. For HTML 4.01 Strict, the '/'
terminates the tag <FOO (with an implied '>'). However, since many
browsers don't interpret it this way, even in the presence of an HTML 4.01
Strict DOCTYPE, it is best to avoid it completely in pure HTML documents
and reserve its use solely for those written in XHTML.
  Line 60, Column 86: there is no attribute "BORDER"
…"logo" width="253" height="37" border="0" alt="Digital Mars"
src="images/dmlog…

✉

You have used the attribute named above in your document, but the document
type you are using does not support that attribute for this element. This
error is often caused by incorrect use of the "Strict" document type with
a document that uses frames (e.g. you must use the "Transitional" document
type to get the "target" attribute), or by using vendor proprietary
extensions such as "marginheight" (this is usually fixed by using CSS to
achieve the desired effect instead).

This error may also result if the element itself is not supported in the
document type you are using, as an undefined element will have no
supported attributes; in this case, see the element-undefined error
message for further information.

How to fix: check the spelling and case of the element and attribute,
(Remember XHTML is all lower-case) and/or check that they are both allowed
in the chosen document type, and/or use CSS instead of this attribute. If
you received this error when using the <embed> element to incorporate
flash media in a Web page, see the FAQ item on valid flash.
  Line 115, Column 50: required attribute "TYPE" not specified

✉

The attribute given above is required for an element that you've used, but
you have omitted it. For instance, in most HTML and XHTML document types
the "type" attribute is required on the "script" element and the "alt"
attribute is required for the "img" element.

Typical values for type are type="text/css" for <style> and
type="text/javascript" for <script>.
  Line 123, Column 105: required attribute "TYPE" not specified
…late.google.com/translate_a/element.js?cb=googleTranslateElementInit"></script>

✉

The attribute given above is required for an element that you've used, but
you have omitted it. For instance, in most HTML and XHTML document types
the "type" attribute is required on the "script" element and the "alt"
attribute is required for the "img" element.

Typical values for type are type="text/css" for <style> and
type="text/javascript" for <script>.
  Line 144, Column 10: document type does not allow element "CITE" here;
missing one of "P", "H1", "H2", "H3", "H4", "H5", "H6", "PRE", "DIV",
"ADDRESS" start-tag

✉

The mentioned element is not allowed to appear in the context in which
you've placed it; the other mentioned elements are the only ones that are
both allowed there and can contain the element mentioned. This might mean
that you need a containing element, or possibly that you've forgotten to
close a previous element.

One possible cause for this message is that you have attempted to put a
block-level element (such as "<p>" or "<table>") inside an inline element
  Line 148, Column 10: document type does not allow element "CITE" here;
missing one of "P", "H1", "H2", "H3", "H4", "H5", "H6", "PRE", "DIV",
"ADDRESS" start-tag

✉

The mentioned element is not allowed to appear in the context in which
you've placed it; the other mentioned elements are the only ones that are
both allowed there and can contain the element mentioned. This might mean
that you need a containing element, or possibly that you've forgotten to
close a previous element.

One possible cause for this message is that you have attempted to put a
block-level element (such as "<p>" or "<table>") inside an inline element
  Line 180, Column 4: end tag for element "P" which is not open

✉

The Validator found an end tag for the above element, but that element is
not currently open. This is often caused by a leftover end tag from an
element that was removed during editing, or by an implicitly closed
element (if you have an error related to an element being used where it is
not allowed, this is almost certainly the case). In the latter case this
error will disappear as soon as you fix the original problem.

If this error occurred in a script section of your document, you should
probably read this FAQ entry.
  Line 204, Column 4: end tag for element "P" which is not open

✉