Well, it's been a total failure

"Jérôme M. Berger" jeberger at free.fr
Thu Sep 16 11:26:05 PDT 2010

Jérôme M. Berger wrote:
> KennyTM~ wrote:
>>>>
>>>     It doesn't, but Unix tools use the file contents to determine the
>>> mime type and then choose the app associated to the mime type.
>>>
>>>         Jerome
>> Please don't confuse Unix with a distro.
>
> 	Which distro? I used the terms "Unix tools" because it transcends
> distributions and Unices. It is as true on Ubuntu as on *BSD or
> Solaris...
>
> 		Jerome
BTW: http://www.darwinsys.com/file/
<quote>
Unlike most GUI systems, command-line UNIX systems - with this
program leading the charge - don't rely on filename extentions to
tell you the type of a file, but look at the file's actual contents.
</quote>

	They say "UNIX systems", they don't say "Ubuntu" (which I don't use
anyway).

		Jerome
mailto:jeberger at free.fr
http://jeberger.free.fr