A summary of D's design principles

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Fri Sep 17 00:02:36 PDT 2010

Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> A coworker asked me where he could find a brief document of D's design
> principles. This was after I'd mentioned the "no function hijacking"
> stance.
>
> I think it would be a great idea if the up-and-coming
> www.d-programming-language.org contained such a document.

I agree, but let's be careful not to drift into trite platitudes. For example,
Ted Neward pointed out to me that *every* programming language bills itself as
productivity enhancing. A manifesto should list things that set D apart from the
goals of other languages, and shouldn't just repeat things that every language
claims to do.