A summary of D's design principles

sybrandy sybrandy at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 19:04:49 PDT 2010

> Concurrency is currently far from easy.

Perhaps, but with D providing a message-passing API, we're certainly on
our way to making it much easier.  I tried Perl threading a few years
ago and settled on using fork for what I needed as it was much easier.
I later learned Erlang and went "Wow, this is really easy!"*  Did some
threading in D with some success, but seeing I can now do things almost
as easy as Erlang, that just makes me happy.

Granted, this doesn't solve things like being able to perform an
operation on all 2048 elements in an array at the same time, but it's a
step in the right direction for a lot of applications, like server
development.

Casey

* Before you go too far, yes, I do realize that there are still ways to
shoot yourself in the foot with message passing.  Erlang is grant in
keeping you from doing so, but in either the documentation or in a
tutorial elsewhere, the Erlang sages have warned us that the path may be
treacherous.  I can only hope that Gandalf is with me when the balrog
appears...