A summary of D's design principles

Nick B "nick_NOSPAM_.barbalich" at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 19:20:20 PDT 2010

On 18/09/2010 12:28 a.m., Justin Johansson wrote:
> On 17/09/2010 6:48 PM, Nick B wrote:
>> On 16/09/2010 5:58 a.m., Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>>> A coworker asked me where he could find a brief document of D's design
>>> principles. This was after I'd mentioned the "no function hijacking"
>>> stance.
>>>

>> there is no one, true, only to be used, library. D supports diversity.
>
> Using Walter's words this is a "trite platitude".
>
> Comments such as these are akin to saying "D is carbon neutral"
> without a supporting argument.
>
> Can you please support your argument with more substance, i.e.
> more sausage and less sizzle. :-)

Is the fact there are two libraries, and not one, or twenty, a strength,
and not a weakness, of the language and the D community.

For example, see this list of (approx 100) C++ libraries:
http://www.trumphurst.com/cpplibs1.html#9

I think that this large number of libraries, just leads to fragmentation
of effort by the C++ community.

Nick B