A summary of D's design principles

Simen kjaeraas simen.kjaras at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 23:47:09 PDT 2010

JMRyan <nospam at nospam.com> wrote:

> Simen Kjaeraas <simen.kjaras at gmail.com> wrote in news:i6stke$o0v$1
> @digitalmars.com:
>
>> Here's a draft of something I'd like to see. I like having the ten
>> commandments, with #0 not really counting. C&C welcome.
>>
>>                           == The D Manifesto ==
>>

> Please don't call it a manifesto.  A statement of design goals or design
> principles says, "This is what we want to do."  A manifesto says, "This
> is
> what everybody should want to do.

We'll interpret it as 'what everyone who wants to make D should want to
do', then. :p

Now, checking my dictionaries, I have found no support for your
definition of manifesto:

man·i·fes·to (man-uh-fes-toh)
–noun, plural -toes.
a public declaration of intentions, opinions, objectives, or motives,
as one issued by a government, sovereign, or organization.

1644, from Italian 'manifesto', Latin 'manifestum' - clear, evident.
"Public declaration explaining past actions and announcing the motive
for forthcoming ones,"

This does not seem too far off the mark for what the above guidelines
are, and all other definitions I could find agreed with the above.

--
Simen