A summary of D's design principles

Justin Johansson no at spam.com
Sun Sep 19 05:41:50 PDT 2010

On 19/09/2010 7:20 AM, retard++ wrote:
>> If I'd write
>> something significant commercial code in any functional language, I might
>> choose F# or Haskell instead.
>
> Have you ever written something significant ?

Here's a significant challenge.

Try implementing the XPath 2.0 XDM data model in D and see where
you come unstuck.  I have tried very hard to do this (in C++
and Java also) and time and time again the classical OO paradigm
proves that it is incapable of solving problems relating to the
modeling of complex type systems without an inordinate amount of
code.

In this respect D is not multi-paradigm by any means (no more than
C++ or Java).  D is just another way of doing the more of the same
old classical OO crap as does C++ and Java and its better meta-
-programming capabilities, whilst a credit to itself, don't actually
help to solve these kinds of complex type systems problems either.

To solve the kinds of type system modelings that I am interested
in, I feel that a higher level of approach is needed beyond what
languages like C++, Java and D can deliver with their incestuous
view of the OO world.

Cheers
Justin Johansson